How to apply Canada work visa from India in 2023
If you are a foreign national seeking to work in Canada, you must first obtain a work permit to engage in employment activities temporarily in Canada. Potential Canadian work permit applicants must secure a valid job offer from a Canadian employer before applying for the visa. The employer, in return, must obtain a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) stating there were no qualified locals available to fill that specific job position.
Canada is a leading destination for skilled workers worldwide seeking rewarding employment opportunities and high-quality life. A work visa in Canada is also the first step toward permanent residency.
How to know if I am eligible to work in Canada?
Foreigners requiring Canada jobs visa are eligible to work in Canada, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Candidates must obtain a job offer letter or an employment contract from a Canadian employer. The job offer must be supported by Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).
- Some pathways allow foreign nationals to work in Canada without a work permit or a job offer. Examples include - international students graduating from Designated Learning Institutes, spouses of students or skilled workers who don’t require an LMIA, spouses of PR visa applicants, etc. International Mobility Program also does not require an LMIA for Canadian employers wishing to hire overseas workers.
Candidates applying for a work permit must also fulfill the following conditions:
- Demonstrate that you will leave Canada after your visa or work authorization ends.
- Prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and your dependents while in Canada.
- You are not criminally or medically inadmissible to Canada, and
- Intend to work with an eligible employer in Canada.
- Willing to show any documents requested by the visa officer to enter Canada.
What occupations don’t need a work permit?
Applicants working in the following occupations do not need to apply for a work permit Canada:
- Athlete or coach
- Aviation accident or incident investigator
- Business visitor
- Civil aviation inspector
- Convention organizer
- Crew member
- Emergency service provider
- Examiner and evaluator
- Expert witness or investigator
- A family member of a foreign representative
- Foreign Government officer or representative
- Healthcare student
- Judge, referee or similar official
- Military personnel
- News reporter or film and media crew
The most common types of work permits
The government of Canada offers a range of work permit options for temporary foreign workers. Some work permits require a valid employment letter, some require an employer to secure an LMIA, while others require an applicant to demonstrate some connection in Canada. Work permit holders may also apply for a Canada PR Visa after some years. The most common types of work permits are:
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program
- Facilitated LMIA (Quebec)
- Global Talent Stream
Under the TFWP, Canadian employers may recruit temporary foreign workers through the following pathways:
- High-wage workers
- Low-wage workers
- Global Talent Stream
- Foreign agricultural workers
- In-home Caregivers
- Foreign Academics
How to get a job in Canada from India?
Getting a job in Canada is all about promoting your skills and how well you can immerse yourself into the new culture and environment. The best ways to get a job in Canada are:
Create a professional resume
When we discuss creating a resume, we typically mean drafting a CV unique to each job profile and company. Every job description has distinct requirements that applicants must meet to land a job offer and, eventually work permit from India. Make sure your CV reflects all your skills, core competencies, and everything that makes you an ideal for the job advertised. Your CV should be designed per Canadian standards and contain all necessary keywords and pointers to generate maximum response.
Pick the suitable sources for jobs
With the availability of social media platforms and numerous job portals, it has become easier to promote yourself to employers. All you need is the proper knowledge and right resource to do so. Job portals and social media platforms such as LinkedIn have become increasingly popular among job seekers and employers. However, in the context of Canada, foreign workers must not blindly believe every job offer they encounter as there are frauds as well. So, make sure you opt for a reliable source such as Job Bank, ca.indeed.com, Canadajobs.com, etc., for job hunting.
What documents do I need to apply for a Canadian work permit?
- Copy of passport with at least six months’ validity
- Two recent passport-sized photographs
- Job offer letter from a Canadian employer
- Evidence that you meet the requirements for your prospective job
- Evidence that you meet the basic Work permit Canada requirements
- Documents related to your education qualifications and work experience
- Proof of funds through bank statements
- Medical examination and PCC certification
- Receipt of application fee